Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lauren Kimbrel - Poster

Biography of Neville Brody:



Neville Brody was a British designer and art director. He began working in record cover design before he made his name as an art director for FACE magazine. Other international magazines he was published in were the following; City Limits Lei, Per Lui, Actuel, Arena, as well as London’s own Observer. Neville Brody pushed boundaries through his experimental and challenging work by doing creative exploratory expression.

In 1988 Brody published the first of his two monographs, which became the world’s best selling graphic design book. The sales exceed 120,000. An accompanying exhibition of his work at the Victoria and Albert Museum attracted over 40,000 visitors before touring Europe and Japan. In 1994 his business partner Fua Richards helped launch Research Studios in London. Others have been opened in Paris, Berlin, and plans for NYC. The clients range from web to print and from environmental to retail design to moving graphics and film titles.

Later in life he helped launch a sister company known as Research Publishing which is produced by young artists. It was focused on FUSE; a renowned conference and quarterly forum for experimental typography and communications. The publication is approaching its 20th issue over a publishing record of 10 years.

Neville Brody was an influential designer for graphic arts and typography. From past to present he has be a big part in this industry and many people look to him for creative and innovative ideas. The history poster I created is based off several works of art Neville Brody himself designed. I just used a select few and intertwined them together to create my vision of how I think Neville Brody should be interpreted.
Written by: Lauren Kimbrel





Why did you choose your designer?



At first I wanted another typographer, but then was convinced that Neville Brody would be much more interesting for me. In fact I didn’t realize I already knew who he was, the name just didn’t click. I started doing research and found that a lot of his works are similar to my taste; either funky or simple. I find typography to be extremely interesting and that’s what I tend to stick to when I design. Neville Brody was indeed a great candidate and it helped me broaden my views of how to incorporate text to create an image by just browsing his works.

What did you like about doing the project?



I thought it was fun to work with another artist’s work and combine it into my own. I used some ideas of his previous works of art that were mostly from his days as an Art Director for FUSE magazine; as well as a few others. Altogether I used a combination of three works of art from Neville Brody and combined them into one. Finding fonts that were similar to his was the toughest part, but I believe I accomplished what I was looking for. I had completed another history poster previous to this class and as a result working out the design was the easiest part. My favorite element of the design is finishing it and being content with what I just did, because I am my own worst critic. People like Neville Brody give me something to look forward to, because one day I wish to be a typographer that someone does a history poster about.

I am a junior at Appalachian State University majoring in Graphic Arts and Imaging Technology with a minor in Art History, and contemplating a second minor in Business.

My interests are usually anything that has to do with art. But my three favorites are design, photograpy and ceramics. As well a few little crafty ideas I come up with at random. I also enjoy spending time with the people I love and being the lively and animated person I love to be.
Contact Lauren

No comments: